Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Stained Glass Art Auctions

I have found some really beautiful pieces of artistic stained glass at art auctions.  The worship committee at my church asked me to find some church window stained glass when I went to an art auction last fall.  I found an excellent piece for them that was framed and 73” X 38.5”.  The congregation loved it.

I found some wonderful stained glass at an art auction for a client that was trying to complete his new kitchen.  The three windows I won were exactly right for him.  The stained glass had a Victorian star design in shades of blue.  The borders were all beveled and the piece was hand cut and soldered.

The modern stained glass windows sometimes come sandwiched between two pieces of tempered glass to protect them for years of use.  The windows I bought at the art auction were framed in vinyl.  Each of the stained glass windows was 30” X 30”.

Stained glass art auctions always include lampshades.  I went through a period of time where I purchased every stained glass lampshade I would find at an art auction.  I am a little more discerning, now.  I found a stained glass lampshade not long ago that I purchased for my mother. 

My mother just redecorated her bedroom in green and mauve.  The stained glass lampshade that I found for her only had variations of those two colors running through it.  It was perfect for her and she really liked it when I gave it to her.

I had a call from a client last week that asked me to find a piece of stained glass to hang in a picture window.  She always had a curtain hanging over that window, so I had trouble picturing what it looked like.  I stopped by her house and chatted with her before I went to the art auction so that I could get better idea of what would delight her.

I talked with this client for awhile and found out that she used to grow roses competitively, but that since her arthritis had gotten worse, she was no longer able to garden.  She had a curtain hanging over that window so that she wouldn’t have to look into her bare backyard.  I instantly knew exactly what kind of stained glass art piece she needed.

The art auction was a lot of fun and I found a large oval stained glass piece to hang over the picture window for my client.  It was almost three feet tall and just under two feet wide.  The red roses done in stained glass were just magnificent.  She was so happy after the stained glass was delivered; she thanked me with coffee and bagels.

She hired me again to find a special piece for her bedroom window.  She liked the idea of replacing the curtains in her home with stained glass pieces of art that I could find for her at art auctions.  I looked at the way her bedroom was decorated taking special notice of the colors she used. 

I found a fantastic stained glass piece for her at the art auction of a peacock with lavender in the background.  It fit really well with her existing decorating.  She hired my son to hang this piece for her.  She was pleased with his work and has promised him future jobs that require more strength than she possesses.

I was asked by a friend of mine to find a special piece of stained glass for his office.  I went to three art auctions before I could find something that felt right.  His taste and furnishings run the direction of more contemporary than most pieces of stained glass usually represent. 

The third art auction I attended had a contemporary piece of stained glass art that depicted a landmark in Anchorage, Alaska.  I did not know it at the time, but my friend had family in Alaska and was actually familiar with this landmark.  I purchased it because I liked the style and the coloring, but it turned out to be an even better choice because of its subject matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Automotive Industry at a Glance

The Whole World Vehicle Sector is experiencing and enjoying the amount of somewhat robust progress and revenue, still there are lots of part...